Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Seeking Happiness - Part 1

We always heard talks on happiness. How a person isn't happy and how a person is on the peak of happiness after he or she met with someone.

But what is happiness exactly? Does it means one could be happy if she happens to be a person married to a rich man and have few kids, travel all over the world?

If that the case, everage people may not as happy. Or does it means by getting married to anybody, then happiness would come visits.

Some people (family and friends alike) thought I would be happy if I got myself married to anybody. They thought (though not out loud) I must be unhappy because I'm nor married or currently do not dates anyone exclusively.

To many, happiness can only be achieved if you have someone special in your life. A boyfriend or a husband, and it will gets even better if you and your husband conceived and gave birth to a handful of tots.

It seems strange concept to these people If I said I found happiness in many shapes and forms. They would even said or comments that my source of happiness is just temporary (like marriage would be so solid it won't crumbled).

Don't get me wrong, for I never against marriage. Most people wants to get married at some point of their lives and perhaps raised kids together with their spouses.

So when I said I found my happiness at home in a form of my nephews, they quick to add "but they are not yours. Won't you want to have your own?" I would be crazy if I said I don't want children of my own.

I would be lying if I said I want to grow old alone in some homes. Like everybody else, I yearn for the time I would be called mama or mak or mummy or ibu by smaller version of me or of my husband.

It is something common and acceptable for a woman like me to be wanting of all those. However, facts remains, I am a single now with diminishing prospects to find a decent, single man to ask for my hand.

It's not that I'm too fussy about the cadidates. Of course I do have to select the ones with good qualities and have the same interest. I mean, would your mum allow you to date crazy and irresponsible person.

Yet many still asks me these questions, 'don't you want to get married' or 'you must be choosy type' or 'don't you wants to grow old surrounded by your children, who would take care of you'.

I can't help to be cynical about those type of relationships. The things I saw in life made me wants second opinion about getting myself hitched.

I got a friend who, at this age, have been married to four men, or to be like another girl friend of mine who is now in the process of getting her divorce because she is not compatible with the second husband.

Is that happiness?

No comments: